Are you pinning your Instagram photos to your Pinterest account? No? Why not?
Editor’s note: This post was originally written in April of 2015, but has been updated as of June 19th, 2017 with feature changes and images.
If you’re taking photos of your work or product and spending time creating great photos, I highly recommend that you share them to your Pinterest account.
Of course, not every single image needs to be shared, but you should be considering sharing the best of the best of your photos. It’s a great way to cross-promote original content, and your work!
Plus, it’s super easy to do it from your smartphone.
Pinning an Instagram Image
There are two ways to do this while on your smartphone.
Let’s go over how to pin your work. The first demo is the easiest, and takes very little work:
1. Open Instagram to the picture you would like to pin, click on the 3 dots above the image.
2. Click on “Share.”
3. Click “Copy Link.”
4. Link copies to clipboard automatically.
5. Open Pinterest on your smartphone, It should ask if you would like to pin your copied link, (If not see below for next demo.), click Pin It.
6. It will open up Instagram, and immediately pull up images to choose. Click on the image you want to pin.
7. Before you choose a board, make sure to edit your caption. This is important, rarely do pinners edit the caption. Make sure you add info about your image.
8. Choose your Board.
Boom! You’ve pinned your work!
If for some reason when you open Pinterest and there’s no prompt to pin the link you’ve copied, then follow all of the above steps on Instagram to number 4., then:
5. Open Pinterest. Go to your profile. Click on the + symbol.
6. Click on “Copied link.”
7. Then proceed as before: click Pin It, Choose Image, Edit caption, Choose Board.
Editing the Link on Your Pin
OK! If you’ve made it this far…there’s one last thing I want you to do. Edit the link on your pin!
When you’re sharing things as a business online, you should always be driving traffic back to your website, shop, or blog.
Rarely should you be driving traffic to your social media accounts (in this case Instagram). Why? Because you don’t *own* your Instagram account and you want to make sure you’re driving traffic to your main hub (website, shop, or blog) to capture leads or make sales.
This is especially helpful if you are using Instagram to drive traffic with “link in bio.” This way you can edit your IG image on Pinterest and have it direct traffic back to the correct link instead of your Instagram bio.
Here’s how to edit your URL in your pins:
1. Find the image you just pinned.
2. Click on the edit button (it looks like a pencil).
3. Highlight the “website” link and delete it – do NOT use the delete button on Pinterest, that will delete your entire pin.
4. Replace link with a URL that matches with your photo – here, I shared it to my blog.
5. Hit save, and you’re done!
Everything you need to build your business online!
Get on the list to receive thoughts, resources, tips, and events for building your business online!